Saturday, December 11, 2010

Abandoned Hull of a Vessel




I have always liked this picture, not because I think that it looks great, but because of the things I envision from looking at this vessel's rotting hull.

The picture of this abandoned vessel's hull was taken sometime ago at the Bay Port Fish Company in the state of Michigan.

What is left of this discarded skeleton of a vessel is also what is left of the Great Lakes Whitefish heritage that was once as I have envisioned it this boat's life.

I can see exactly where I took the photo of this vessel by looking at the picture on page twenty nine in this wonderful Google Book of Huron County Michigan, which is brought to you by the Huron County Historical Society.

This is from Wikipedia: "Bay Port is an unincorporated community in the township on M-25 on the shore of Wild Fowl Bay, which opens into the Saginaw Bay of Lake Huron."

This is my tribute to this vessel that died a long time ago and to the people who sailed her. The over fishing of the great lakes by commercial fishermen is not something I like to talk about...But it is nevertheless what has happened to the glory fishing days of old.

So ends the saga of Bay Port this once great fishing place, extorted by greed and profits at a cost of untold magnitude to the people of Michigan.

I would have liked to have told a much happier story about this once great vessel/place and its purpose in life, but you can't call Blackbeard the pirate Robin Hood either!

  • Source: Picture by Jeff
  • Source: Background Table
  • Thanks for Listening,
  • Jeff

  • My Unique Life in Windows Live Space

    No comments:

    Post a Comment